Don’t Fear the Dreaded Root Canal
Just the phrase “root canal” incites fear in many. However, the truth is that a root canal is typically the end of your tooth pain rather than the start. At College Ave Modern Dental, your root canal would be performed by our on-staff endodontist.
An endodontist has received specialized training after dental school that focuses on dealing with the pulp (nerves and root) of your teeth.
Signs You May Need a Root Canal
The only way to know for sure that you need a root canal is to pay a visit to your dentist. However, the following are some indications that a root canal may be necessary:
- Extreme pain or discomfort surrounding a tooth
- Swollen or sensitive gums surrounding a tooth
- Tooth sensitivity to heat or cold
- Discoloration of tooth
What is a Root Canal?
To begin, root canals are nothing to be afraid of. It is a completely routine procedure, and you can rest assured that your dentist or endodontist has plenty of experience performing root canals.
Generally, the root canal process follows this order:
- Your dentist x-rays the troublesome tooth to gauge the damage.
- The dentist or endodontist will numb you using a local anesthetic.
- An access hole is made at the crown of your tooth, from which the dental professional will remove any decayed dental pulp.
- Depending on your case, the tooth is either sealed or left open for continued draining.
Schedule a Root Canal at College Ave Modern Dental
In our office, general dentists, endodontists, cosmetic dentists can all be found under one roof. We are your one-stop source for any and all dental needs. Additionally, our staff utilizes the latest in dental technology and focuses on patient comfort.